On September 30, 1861, Kentucky Legislators began calling for the resignation of Governor Beriah Magoffin.  Magoffin adhered to a states’ rights position, including the right of a state to secede from the Union, sympathizing with the Confederate cause.  Nevertheless, when the Kentucky General Assembly adopted a neutrality position in the war, Magoffin ardently held to it, refusing calls for aid from both the Union and Confederate governments.  Unable to provide effective leadership due to a hostile legislature, Magoffin agreed to resign August 18, 1862, only after choosing his successor.

On September 30, 1920, Kentucky’s population, according to the 1920s census, reached 2,416,013.  In 1910 Kentucky’s population was 2,289,995.  The 1900 population was 2,147,174.

September 30, 1922, the Louisville Football Cardinals played Western Kentucky Hilltoppers for the first time.  Louisville hosted in Eclipse Park and was shutout 6-0.

September 30, 1922, the Kentucky Wildcats opened their season with a win over Marshall 16-0.  The victory started a five-game winning streak with Coach William Juneau ending up with a 6-3 record for the season.

September 30, 1933, McLean Stadium on Stoll Field in Lexington was the site of the first SEC football game.  The Kentucky Wildcats defeated Sewanee 7–0.

On September 30, 1937, Deputy Sheriff Lawrence Johnson, Harlan County Sheriff’s Office, was shot and killed while executing a search warrant at home in Lynch.  He and another Deputy had obtained the search warrant based on an investigation into illegal liquor sales.  Deputy Johnson was shot in the chest and died two days later.  A 50-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man were arrested and charged with murder.  On April 10, 1938, both were tried and acquitted.  His wife survived Deputy Johnson; he was 48-years-old.

September 30, 1948, Marshal George Prentice Southwood, Burnside Police Department, was shot and killed at the Burnside Bridge by a local constable he attempted to arrest for drunkenness.  The constable opened fire with a pistol as Marshal Southwood approached his truck.  The 63-year-old suspect was convicted of murder and sentenced to life.  Marshal Southwood was 43-years-old and survived by his wife and four children.

September 30, 1950, 20-year-old Army CPL Troy Cornett from Perry County died while fighting in the Korean War.

September 30, 1957, a new independent television station WKXP went on the air in Lexington.  Less than a year later, the station was sold to Taft Broadcasting and the call letters changed to WKYT which have remained the same ever since.

Happy Birthday to Gerald Edward “Eddie” Montgomery, born in Danville in 1963.  He was half the duo of Montgomery Gentry.  When Montgomery was thirteen years old, he played drums in his parents’ band, Harold Montgomery and the Kentucky River Express.  In 1990, Montgomery founded the band Early Tymz, which included his younger brother, John Michael Montgomery and Troy Gentry.  As the singers evolved, John Michael left and Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry formed Montgomery Gentry and signed with Columbia Records’ Nashville division in 1999.  Troy died in a helicopter crash in September 2017.

September 30, 1967, 19-year-old Army PFC Jackie E. Trosper from Corbin died while fighting in the Vietnam War.

September 30, 1967, Nate Northington, playing for the Kentucky Wildcats against Mississippi, became the first black football player to play in a Southeastern Conference (SEC) football game.  He was also the first black football player to play in a Kentucky game.  His friend and teammate, Greg Page, who also help tear down racial walls, died the day before, after suffering a severe spinal injury in practice on August 22.

September 30, 1994, 7:16:00 a.m. EDT, the STS-68 Endeavour launched from Edwards Air Force Base with Russellville native Terrence W. Wilcutt aboard as the Payload Commander.

September 30, 1996, Moneta J. Sleet Jr. from Owensboro passed away.  Moneta was an American press photographer best known for his work as a staff photographer for Ebony magazine.  One of Sleet’s early assignments was to cover the young up-and-coming Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  He covered King’s acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 and the Selma to Montgomery march in 1965.  In 1969, Sleet earned international acclaim for his 1968 photograph of Coretta Scott King at Dr. King’s funeral.  The photo was called “Deep Sorrow” and it won the Pulitzer, making Sleet the first African American to win the award for journalism.

September 30, 2010, Marine Lance CPL Timothy M. Jackson, 22, of Corbin, died while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.  He was fighting in Operation Enduring Freedom.